CODE OF CONDUCT
Little Athletics Victoria (LaVic) expects all members to comply with the Code of Conduct. Appropriate action may be taken in the case of any breaches of the Code of Conduct.
Little Athletics Victoria will ensure that all athletes, coaches, spectators, parents and officials are not prone to sexual abuse, neglect, physical or emotional abuse. They ensure that all persons are included, protected and not discriminated against in any manner. LaVic is registered as an Incorporated Association as protection for its Centres, Committees and Members.
Parents Code of Conduct:
- Encourage children to participate if they are interested. However, if a child is not willing, do not force him or her.
- Focus upon the child’s efforts rather than the overall outcome of the event. This assists the children in setting realistic goals related to his/her own ability by reducing the emphasis on winning.
- Teach children that an honest effort is as important as victory, so that the result of each event is accepted without undue disappointment.
- Encourage children to always participate according to the rules.
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or losing an event.
- Remember children are involved in Little Athletics for their enjoyment, not yours.
- If you disagree with an official, raise the issue through the appropriate channels rather than questioning the official’s judgement and honesty in public. Remember, officials give their time and effort for your child’s involvement.
- Support all efforts to remove all verbal and physical abuse at Little Athletics activities.
- Recognise the value and importance of being a volunteer official and/or coach. They give their time and resources to provide recreational activities for the children and deserve your support.
- Demonstrate appropriate social behaviour, by not harassing athletes, parents, coaches or officials, smoking on the arena or being intoxicated.
- Avoid the use of bad language.
Spectators Code of Conduct:
- Remember that children participate in Little Athletics activities for fun. They are not participating for the entertainment of spectators, nor are they miniature professionals.
- Applaud good performances and efforts from each athlete. Congratulate all participants upon their performance regardless of the event outcome.
- Respect the officials’ decisions. If there is a disagreement, follow the appropriate procedure in order to question the decision and teach the children to do likewise.
- Never ridicule or scold a child for making a mistake during a competition. Positive comments are motivational.
- Condemn the use of violence in any form, be it by spectators, coaches, officials or athletes.
- Show respect for all participants, without them there would be no events.
- Demonstrate appropriate social behaviour by not harassing athletes, parents, coaches or officials, smoking on the arena or being intoxicated.
- Avoid use of bad language.
Athletes Code of Conduct:
- Play by the rules and never argue with an official. If you disagree, ask your Team or Age Manager to deal with the matter.
- Control your temper. Verbal abuse of officials, coaches, parents or other athletes, deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent is not acceptable or permitted in our sport.
- Work equally hard for yourself and/or your Centre/Club. Your Centre/Club’s performance will benefit.
- Be a good sport. Applaud all good results whether they are by your Centre/ Club, opponent or the other Centre/Club.
- Treat all athletes, as you would like to be treated. Do not interfere with, bully or take unfair advantage of another athlete.
- Co-operate with officials, coaches, club mates and other participants. Without them there would be no competition.
- Participate in Little Athletics for the “fun of it” and not to please parents.
- Avoid use of bad language.